our trip

There are a TON of pictures on here so don't feel like you have to look at them all - they're more for my blogging journal.

We were able to go to Nauvoo with my parents & my sister, Lisa, & her husband, Tyler. Kelly's mom took Adde & Ezra so it was nice to go & not worry about them. It was such a fun trip. I love going to Nauvoo & seeing how the Saints lived & what they went through. It just makes you so grateful for all they did for us & that we live now, in this day.

We flew into St. Louis & thought we should do something while there. So we went up inside the arch. Did you know it is 600 feet tall? That is ginormous. Here we are waiting to go up.

My mom is extremely terrified of heights & she's already been up it, so she decided to stay down while we all went up.

My dad gets so excited about everything & anything.

Me & Kel up at the top. It was definitely a lot bigger inside than what I thought.

You had a perfect view of what was all around us. Here is the old court house. It's a pretty cool building.


I can't believe what you ride up in to get to the top. It is TINY. If you are claustrophobic I would not be getting in one of these. It's old & creaky & squishy. I kind of got a little motion sickness from it because there's no windows to look out.

View of the arch from the ground.

the Mississippi river in the background. This little street was so cute.

mom & dad

me & kel - the arch was right behind us but was too big to even be in any of the picture.



While there, we were able to go to the temple every day. The spirit there is just amazing & it's so awesome to see how it is today & think how it would have been then. The last time I was there, they were building it & before that- it was just grass with a big whole in the center where the baptistry would have been. So it was pretty neat to be able to go this time & see the temple & actually do the temple work there. I couldn't help but just keep thinking about the Saints & how it would have been then. Those people gave a lot for that temple. Me & Lisa got asked if we were sister missionairies there. haha! Nope. We have kids at home.

all of us (but mom) in front of the temple

my mom & dad



The first day we were there, we drove over to Carthage Jail. The top window is the window that Joseph was shot through & then fell out of. There's a pretty sweet spirit there as you reflect on the prophet Joseph Smith & all he did for this church.






We gave ourselves enough time to see everything while there. It was Kelly's first time being there so it was fun to see what he thought of it.

We did the wagon ride & a carriage ride. The carriage ride was pretty cool because it took you more into the woods & you see more than what you would doing anything else. It gives you a better idea what the Saints first saw coming off the river for the first time & seeing that this is what they were going to live in.

Another morning at the temple.

This is the cabin we stayed in. There were about 6 or 7 cabins in this little place & they were all old ones from the 1800's. They found them (ours is from Heber City, UT), brought them over to Nauvoo & rebuilt them so people can rent them out & stay in them. It was really fun to stay in it. Except the hot water & cold water spickets in the sink were like a foot from each other & the water got too hot too fast so you had to put your hands in the hot then to cold to wash your hands. We kept wondering why the guy who rebuilt it painted blue around the windows. I thought it looked like that blue painter's tape. Weird.

Going on the carriage ride.

Just a few pictures of the homes we went through. This is Sarah Granger Kimball's home.

At the post office. Every time I go, I'm reminded how innovated these people were & really clever.

At the store. Don't worry - my dad dropped the bucket while taking it off. So classic of Phil.

This home is so cute. It's Heber C. Kimball's.

Wilford Woodruff's home

I love old Nauvoo & any of the old church sites. It seriously makes you appreciate all that they went through. You realize how tough it was & how much they sacrificed but how faithful they were. I don't know if I could have lived then. It would have been really hard. I just have a greater appreciation for these people.

8 comments:

Andrea Ingersoll said...

That looks so fun, Jess! Reminds me of Heritage Tours!!! You are just too cute!! Loved all the picturse. I want to do that with Austin!

Jobi Niu said...

HOw awesome! I loved the pictures! That's awesome you got to go to the temple so much. It totally reminded me of HT too. I just love your parents! :]

Tonia said...

All of these pics reminded me of when the whole family went out there. It was such a fun trip and I would love to go again. How fun for you to be able to go with your husband! You guys all look great!

Anonymous said...

What a great trip - I wish we were able to go - timing at the end of the school year was bad for us - love all the pictures posted.

Melinda H. said...

I forgot you guys were going with mom and dad. That looks like such a fun picture. Man I sure would appreciate going as an adult rather than the few times I went as a kid. That's awesome that you got to go to the temple so often. What a great experience!

Gretchen said...

What a fun trip!! How fun to be with your family...and without kids!! I love Nauvoo. There is just such a calm feeling there. I love all of your pictures!!

Lisa said...

It really was so much fun, wasn't it! I was entering in our receipts from the trip & I came across the Bakery receipts & it really made me sad that we wouldn't be eating lunch there again. Are you proud of me that I am finally blogging again? Thanks for emailing me all the pics. I guess I could have just gotten them off from here.

Shaun and Tonya said...

Great trip There is nothing like being right there to truly learn about the people I'm glad you got to go